Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016




Happy Thanksgiving to you all.   Looking back over the last year, I can say:  “IT HAS BEEN GOOD.”  I have not been able to say that in several years.  

I AM THANKFUL FOR family that love me.  

I AM THANKFUL FOR  friends that love me like family.

I AM THANKFUL FOR finally being true to myself.  The feeling of freedom and contentment that brings is beyond words.  Thankful that I no longer hate who I am or feel like I have to hid it from the world.  

I AM THANKFUL FOR a job back in my field - doing the type of work I like to do.  I am thankful that I look forward to going into work every day and enjoy myself while I am there.  

I AM THANKFUL FOR my children.  I am thankful for  special memories made this year.  I am thankful that they are healthy.  I am thankful for their personalities and proud of who they have become.  When I reflect on whether I’m doing a good job as a parent and think about “how my kids are turning out,” the criteria for me are:  Are they kind and loving?  Do they feel compassion for hurting people?   Are they willing to take a stand for what is important?  Will they step in and defend someone being bullied or abused?  By those criteria, my kids are my heroes.  

I AM THANKFUL FOR reconnecting with Corey and Aleiga, former foster children who lived with us for almost two years.  Sadly, when they went home, their parents cut us completely out of their lives - we didn’t even know what town they lived in, no updates, nothing.   For the last 8 years, we have missed them, loved them, laughed over memories of our time with them, cried for them, and worried about them.  Corey contacted Chris earlier this week and he and I talked last night.  My heart is extra happy this week.      

I AM THANKFUL FOR good teachers and other school staff that speak life into my children each day.

I AM THANKFUL for a very special someone.   I never felt that I would ever be able to let myself love again.  I certainly never felt that anyone would truly love me again.  I am thankful that I was wrong.

And perhaps most importantly, I AM THANKFUL that I again feel like I have A SENSE OF PURPOSE.  That everything is back in balance.  That my depression is finally under control.  That I have hope for the future.  That passion for the values, ideals, and causes that were important to me (as well as some new ones) has returned.  That I have the energy and the desire to do the things I love.   That I once again FEEL ALIVE.    

LOVE CONQUERS ALL.  My challenge to you this Thanksgiving is to show your thankfulness by reaching out and loving someone who isn't feeling so loved right now.   Someone who doesn't see why they should go on.   Someone who doesn't see how valuable they are.  Perhaps show love to that gay neighbor who is alone because his family no longer speaks to him.  Show love to the Muslim or Jewish neighbor who wonders if it is safe to express her spiritual beliefs publicly.  Show love to the black man down the street who fears for his life when stopped for a simple traffic violation.  

Show SOMEONE that they are loved, that they are valued, and that with you, they are safe.

LOVE CONQUERS ALLLOVE is the Answer…Doesn’t matter the Question.

No comments:

Post a Comment